<span class="highlight">Trak</span> <span class="highlight">Shak</span> models

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 16:35
ThreadID: 51380 Views:4376 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Been looking at used Trak Shaks for a while and was wondering, apart from the myriad of available electrical, annexe, and accessory options, what is the main difference between the Hybrid and the Midway??

I think the Midway was the large model made up until around 1998 odd and then replaced with the Hybrid. I've seen a Midway up close but not the Hybrid. Stucturally are they much the same?? Can you fit some of the options available on todays Hybrid (enclosed annexe, under camper room, boat rack) onto a Midway??

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff - the first - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 18:10

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 18:10
floppinab,

From memory,

Standard = 2 x double beds + annexe std length and width
Midway = 2 x double beds + annexe extended length, std width
Hybrid = 2 x queen beds + annexe std length, extra width
Deluxe = 2 x queen beds + annexe extended length, extra width

Same size trailer on all versions, with tops varied to suit beds.
Some metal accessories require lugs on the trailer (boat rack etc).
Enclosed annexe width will vary to match main annexe width.
Under camper room probably interchangeable.

Cheers
Geoff
AnswerID: 270581

Follow Up By: floppinab - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 22:09

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 22:09
Thanks Geoff, that's close enough for me and from what I've seen rings some bells.

And Geoff M. I spose I could've gone to Trak Shak, I seriously didn't think of that, first thought these days tends to be "go to the forums"!!!
FollowupID: 533668

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:38

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:38
Geoff I think you are pretty close without being 100% correct.

Early on Trak Shak built 3 models.
Standard, Midway and Deluxe. These were all the same length but the width varied. The Midway was about 50mm wider than the standard and the Deluxe 50mm wider again. That is folded so that doubles when you open them up.

The Hybrid was introduced later, not sure when, but it seems to have a bigger awning and less space inside. I think this may be an overall more useable version.

The other thing introduced on later models was extra windows. They put a couple up next to the beds. Oh how I wish mine had these windows. More ventillation can only be good.

We have a 96 model Midway. It has done a fair bit of travelling and presented no problems at all. We love the thing and friends who have borrowed it are always reluctant to give it back.

Duncs
FollowupID: 533715

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:46

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:46
floppinab,

I forgot to mention the extras.

The extra room changed design in the late 90's I think. The new one will not fit on the old trailer. The old one is an awkward thing to fit and has been the only source of leaks during rain for us.

The solar panel array and the boat rack can be fitted to the older model trailers but it is not a small job. When I last enquired Trak Shak said they would need the trailer for a week to fit the boat rack. They also said they would want quite a few $$$$$.

I think there are other ways and once I get the boat I will set my mind to making a rack to carry it.

Duncs
FollowupID: 533717

Follow Up By: floppinab - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:46

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:46
Thanks for the detail Duncs,

In your last post the "extra room". I guess you are referring to the enclosed annexe there is that right??? For that model is it a velcro or some other type of attachment.
FollowupID: 533723

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 09:42

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 09:42
When I talk of the extra room I mean the one that hangs under the second bed, as is mentioned by Adrian below.

Mine, from the 96 model velcros to the main part of the camper both around the side and front of the camper and where you access it from inside the camper. It fitted to the trailer by press studs along the raised lip which is formed by the "well" for the ply top. It is a pain to fit and remove

The newer ones, like Adrian's zip onto the main part of the camper and simply hang on loops of bungy cord from the front of the trailer. The newer one can be left attached and simply pushed inside the camper when you fold it. The older one needs to be removed and re-attached every time.

They are not interchangeable.

Duncs
FollowupID: 534157

Reply By: Geoff M (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 20:47

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 20:47
Not trying to be a smart A?? here, but why on earth wouldn't you ask this question of Trak Shak?

Just curious .... Geoff
AnswerID: 270621

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:20

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:20
We have a Delux model ,,and its Aussie made

Brilliant bit of gear

So what else do you want to know ?

I think at one stage they came with an axle could be wrong, but by far the best are the Inedpendent Coil Spring models ,,, Tough as hell
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 270683

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:50

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:50
I have the 2000ish brochure that has all of the dimensions. If you have a fax I can fax it to you.

We have a 2001 Midway - double beds, full length room with three windows down the side. The extra room which hangs under the second bed may be interchangeble with the delux but it will depend on the size of the opeing as it zips all the way round.

We'll have it at the Pyrenees gathering this weekend if you're in Victoria.

Adrian
AnswerID: 270732

Sponsored Links